Tennis News Wire -
Bad Gastein, Austria
June 11-17, 2012
Results - Sunday, June 17, 2012
Singles - Final
(7) Alizé Cornet (FRA) d. (2/WC) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) 75 76(1)
Doubles - Final
(4) Craybas/Goerges (USA/GER) d. (1) Groenefeld/Martic (GER/CRO) 67(4) 64 119 (Match TB)
- Cornet wins the second WTA title of her career, having also won on the clay of Budapest in 2008.
- Cornet's win-loss record in finals now stands at 2-3; the other three finals also came on clay, in Strasbourg this year and in Acapulco and Rome back in 2008.
- Cornet's best showings in four previous visits to Bad Gastein were semifinal losses in 2009 and 2010.
- Cornet did not drop a set en route to the title and is the first player to achieve this feat in the tournament's six-year history.
- Cornet is the fifth consecutive Bad Gastein champion to be ranked outside the Top 50.
- Wickmayer falls to 3-5 in WTA finals, and 1-1 in clay court finals.
- Craybas and Goerges win their first doubles title together; Craybas now has five WTA doubles titles to her name, while Goerges has four.
- Craybas and Goerges' previous best performance in tandem also came on clay when they finished runners-up in Palermo in 2010.
Alizé Cornet: "I knew it would be a really tough match. Yanina's a really good player. I was about to lose the second set but I fought so much and tried to stay calm and positive, and that helped. I played well on the important points and that's how I won in two sets. I really love this tournament. I love the people here and I feel everybody loves me as well. I'm not Austrian, but I feel like I'm Austrian when I'm here."
Yanina Wickmayer: "It was a good week – I'm disappointed not to win, but she was better than me today and I just have to accept it and play better next time. I'm excited to move onto grass now and hopefully I keep playing well."